03 November, 2007

Thermometers

Probe, Infrared, in-oven, etc.

No, not like that sickos.

Anyway, I have found the joys of cooking with thermometers. Actually, the first, and most memorable, time I used a thermometer was with a standing rib roast that I was cooking for my birthday. For those that aren't aware and don't have sufficient curiosity to google it, a standing rib roast is a prime rib on the bone, as it were.

Tangent. I like my meat warm in the center. Steaks and burgers- cooked on the outside, just warm in the center. Tastiness.

Back to the story. So, I read up a little on how to cook the roast, ad decided to shoot for a long-cooked method which promised to leave the resulting hunk of beef juicy, tender, and not over done. So I jam my probe thermometer into an appropriate area on the beast, and begin the cooking. 6 hours later, it reaches the temperature of dreams. It's been awhile, but I think it was 127deg F. I then let the roast rest and coast, taking it up to 137 or so. This meant it was time to carve. So, with trepidation, hope, and no little hunger, the oscillating blades of death descended, slicing into perfectly cooked flesh, laying open the most uniformly dark pink roast mine eyes have ever had the grace of seeing.

This converts me to the use of thermometers.

So, here's what I need. An IR thermometer- they're cool. Point it at a surface and get an accurate temp reading. Huzzah! This will be useful for determining the temp of grilling surfaces, cast iron pans, enLethe, or any other surface.
Also, a probe thermometer will be necessary as well. Maybe with two probes, or maybe just two single probe models. These are useful for anything that needs to have the insides cooked without cutting it open to check.

Huzzah, toys!

3 comments:

enLethe said...

I also think an IR thermometer would be useful for other random situations. I could do dorky things like reading the temperatures of the exterior and interior surfaces of walls and such. I could finally find out what the water temperature difference is between Banik's preference (cold!) and mine (pleasantly toasty).

Oh! And when he tells me to stop warming my hands on him because they're freezing I can tell him to be quiet because they're only 57 degrees, which is clearly above freezing.

Banik said...

Hrmph. Water preferences are vastly understated! She likes "scalding" and I merely prefer "hot enough to turn me red." But there are all kinds of cool things to be done with an IR thermometer. I wonder if they make holsters for them...

57 degrees. Kelvin.

Liz! said...

i have an ir thermometer! it's so awesome!! :)