20 September, 2013

Leek Potato Soup

 
This is more or less based on Alton Brown's recipe, but I made a few changes and of course used what I had on hand from the CSA boxes. I'm more into hearty/chunky soups, so I threw out the idea of making a pale blended soup and kept the general flavor profile of Alton's recipe.
 
Ingredients, +/- since I didn't do too much measuring of spices and veggies
  • 13ish ounces leeks with greens, tips trimmed, cut into bite sized pieces and washed
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • Heavy pinch kosher salt, plus additional for seasoning
  • 1 to 1.5# potatoes, cut into bite sized chunks
  • 1# carrots, scrubbed and cut to bite sized
  • 1 quart chicken stock, a little of it smoked
  • 1/2 teaspoon white pepper 
  • black pepper
  • marjoram
  • probably garlic
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1 cup buttermilk (made from powdered was fine)
  •  
    In a 6-quart saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the leeks with some salt and saute until a bit browned. Add the other veggies and spices, then bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat until potatoes are fork tender, then turn off and added dairy.
     
     
    I wasn't sure what to expect since I messed with Alton's recipe, but I was quite pleased with the results. I would definitely make this again.

    No comments: