25 September, 2007

About the Canopy Bed Thing

That's my fault. You could say that they, and similar structures, are one of my peculiar fascinations. I think that it's something about the variations in transparency and enclosure that exist over the course of a day in different lighting conditions.

Anyhow, as with most interior design things I'm exceedingly picky about what I do and don't like, but I can never quite explain what makes the difference. I do know that there are a Lot of ugly canopy beds like this DIY monstrosity, and that pretty, pretty princess beds make me feed nauseated. There are a some neat beds that I'm not sure are canopy beds at all like this Mauro Bertame' bed and this one by Belgian designer Kris Van den Berghe. I think I move around too much to sleep on one of these hanging type beds, but they're interesting (as much as sleeping anywhere requiring mosquito netting can be "interesting").

It's really hard to find one that I like, actually. Ten pages of google images later, and I've not seen anything that I particularly like, though the modern sort of ones above certainly trump the frilly and ornate ones. Furniture design is a fleeting interest of mine, so I'll probably just make my own if I get the chance. Maybe I'll just get one for the dog instead.

No comments: