26 September, 2007

KDDO

Another post about furniture that I'm mildly obsessed with, this time KDDO.

Knock-Down/Drag-Out is a line of designs by Material Furniture that is designed to be assembled and disassembled quickly and easily-- and for the most part without tools. The main material is plywood, so the pieces of furniture are very easy to ship or store when stacked flat. This plywood is also FSC certified, which is one of the reasons that KDDO has been acclaimed on sites like TreeHugger. Some other reasons include using minimal packing materials (enough to get it there safely) that are easy to recycle, and that they support the use of local resources and small businesses.

I originally found KDDO on Vivavi while seaching for ecofriendly furniture to go in UMD's LEAFhouse last year, and of all the hundreds of pieces I looked at it was one of the most memorable sets. I may not care much for the chair, but I would be happy to have the benches, tables, and even the bed in my house (yes, I realize it's not a canopy bed). I'm fairly certain that KDDO could also evolve into some sort of reasonable looking armchair or loveseat without getting too weird, but we'll have to do if Christopher Douglas decides to do any more pieces.

No comments: