29 September, 2007

(a) Volunteer for Life

As one may or may not be aware, I have a history of volunteer work. I assisted my mom with PTA when she was president, did tech for community theatre, and helped with my high school band even after my little sister had graduated (and until my band director retired). I enjoy doing the thankless behind the scenes jobs merely for the satisfaction of knowing I helped someone or did something of interest to my esoteric sensibilites.

I feel fortunate that my school feels a commitment to its community and to communities in general and that during my eduation I've been 'required' to volunteer my time and skills to help people who cannot do what I've learned to do or think the way in which I've been trained. Honestly, if personally asked to perform a task by someone I respected I'd likely volunteer my time anyway (ungodly college schedule permitting). Apparently I'm too nice. I also know that it's a good experience.

Some among us who shall remain nameless probably experience ego inflation; after all, these poor souls view us as experts and call us Architects though we are years from becoming such.

I always find it humbling. I know enough to know that there is more to learn that I ever possibly could and that I don't have all the answers, only suggestions and ideas (and admittedly short patience in some arenas). I will happily give drawings and explanations for any who ask and are open-minded enough to listen, and I oft find myself interpretting and explaining the work of my colleagues in their absences. At 22:15 I was undoubtly the last student out tonight, and I'll go ahead and apologize now for anything I got wrong while interpretting and/or BSing about the drawings of others for the last three or so people I talked with tonight.

It's also humbling because these people thank me for my work and tell me that my drawings are beautiful. I know that I'm not all that good, mediocre at best. I've always judged myself by my failings and by the skill of my classmates. Over three years together for most of us, and I know that I can never measure up to His drawings (JM), Her renderings (EM), His observations and insights (NM), or Her designs (SN). I have a little pride in my models, but I also have equals, betters, and the ability to see the faults in my work more than anything.

Even so, I know that I'll continue to volunteer when asked, especially if my rather specialized abilities, such as they are, can be useful to someone. I'm sure there's an organization with such a need wherever my boyfriend and I end up after graduation, and if I drag him along with me he might finally have to learn something about design, too.

No comments: