18 August, 2013

Kris's Carrot Cake

 
I made this half batch cake based on Grandma Hiers' Carrot Cake Recipe by Paula Dean, and it was pretty good despite being a bit too sweet. I have since made it again with some alterations, and I think it's very good now.
 
For my half batch cake:
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for pans
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup applesauce
  • 2 cups shredded carrots
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts 

  •  
    For the frosting:
  • 4 ounces softened cream cheese*
  • 1/4 stick softened salted butter*
  • 4 ounces powdered sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

  •  
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a springform pan. In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients with a whisk. Add eggs, vegetable oil, and applesauce; use a hand mixer to blend until combined. Stir in carrots and walnuts, then pour into pan. Bake until done (30-40 minutes?), then cool 5 minutes and transfer to cooling rack. Cool completely before frosting.
     
    To make the frosting add all ingredients into a medium bowl and beat until fluffy using a hand mixer. Spread frosting on top cake. If I made a whole batch I'd probably do two layers of cake and spread half the frosting on top of each layer before assembling them.
     
    *I have been getting the cream cheese and butter out to soften when I start making the cake. I usually break it up and smear it around the inside of the mixing bowl to increase the surface area and rate of heat transfer, and by the time I'm ready to construct and apply the frosting they seem to be ready.

    No comments: