03 August, 2013

Apple Mint and Jalepeno Syrups

So I went to Ace yesterday to get more canning jars because they are apparently the only brick and mortar stores left on earth with a decent canning section. The trouble is, they have a decent canning section. So I came home with a copy of the Ball Blue Book and ambitions to see what else I could use up out of the fridge.
 
It was all downhill from there. The mint jelly I was trying to make tastes more like apple and less like mint than I'd like, and the jalepeno jelly started with the lesson that our blender turns peppers and apple cider vinegar into foam instead of puree. I know I followed the first recipe correctly and messed up on the liquid-to-powder substitution of the second; neither one set. I even opened them, cooked in more pectin, and recanned. Not much better. They taste good though, especially the sweet-and-sour flavor of the jalepeno stuff. I think they'll be good on pancakes, so I'm can't imagine they'll be wasted. I'm just going to call them syrups because it's all about marketing.
 
Taking a photo didn't go too well either, but trust me, they look pretty cool in person. Both of these jellies usually receive green food coloring, especially if made commercially, so you might be surprised to know that this is what mint and jalepeno jellies syrups, respectively, look like naturally.
 

No comments: