03 August, 2013

Wild Blackberries

 
We were lucky enough to discover that we have wild blackberries in the back yard. We let them grow wherever they wanted this year, and it's kind of payed off. When Clay brought in the first handful of berries I didn't think much of it; in the face of birds and such we've never had good luck with getting a share of our fruit. But a few days later it occured to me to check on them, and after filling the first tub I had to go in and get another. This photo is what I brought in the first day, and since I'm very curious about what the total yield will be I've been weighing each batch since. I've found that to balance the time it takes to comb through looking for berries (and amount of wounds from thorns) with the amount of berries received for that time, it's optimal to go out every 2-3 days. This week was been crazy so the last pick was 4 days, and that's definately too long because significantly more berries past their prime and/or fermenting in place.
 
So this is what we've gotten:
Day 1: 24 oz
Day 2: 10 oz
Day 3: 4 oz (apparently not a lot of berries ripen on rainier, overcast days)
Day 4: 10.95 oz
Day 7: 30.4 oz
Day 11: 35.4 oz
 
Total: 114.75 oz, or a little over 7#
 
Considering what that would cost to buy somewhere I feel very lucky indeed.
 
 

No comments: