25 October, 2007

Bunchillarat?

I accept that we can't have one of every animal we like; in the end we would quite literally own a zoo. So certain conflicts develop, ie. would it be better to have a pet Chinchilla or a pet Rabbit? Chinchillas are amazingly soft, adorable little balls of fluff that sleep most of the day and roll in dust; they never require bathing. Rabbits are also cute balls of fluff, and despite being higher maintainence than cats or dogs, they can be harness and litterbox trained. How is anyone supposed to choose?

Theoretically I wouldn't have to because I have found the solution: the viscacha rat. I discovered these little critters over on Cute Overload, and then found them again on Disapproving Rabbits. Wikipedia also has a little information. Oh sure, you're thinking "who wants a pet rat?" Well if it looks like a bunchillla hybrid I suppose that would be me. The only problem is that they're pretty rare rodents which are undomesticated and should be left to their own devices.

*sigh* Back to square one....

2 comments:

Banik said...

I don't think those things are nearly as cute as either rabbits or chinchillas. Of course, I think cats are higher on the list than either of those- I feel this produces an interesting dynamic between cats and things-likely-to-be-eaten-by-cats.

Hmmmmm.

enLethe said...

I think things-that-would-normally-be-food-for-other-things is a continuum that spans all of our pet aspirations (and probably some of my plant aspirations). Between fishtanks and turtles and cats and dogs and goodness knows what else I have no idea if anything will survive. >.<