19 October, 2007

the perfect fit

So I have this urban planning class about designing for non-motorized transportation (pedestrians and cyclists), and while researching stuff about bike culture at different colleges I ran across this article about Terry Bicycles. I haven't ridden a bike in over a decade and don't know much anything about them, but I was impressed enough to remember most of the article's content. Why? I was fascinated by the idea that someone actually researched and designed a bike to fit a woman rather than just making a smaller version of a man's bike. "For example, a women's upper body is proportionally longer than a man's. So, a bike that fits men in the legs and upper body, will fit women in only one of these areas. The key to making a women's bike, she decided, is getting them into a slightly more upright position. " The result of this is that female riders don't have to endure the shoulder pain that develops from leaning too far forward.

I can tell you from personal experience that when speaking of items that are used directly in relation the the body, smaller versions of men's things often don't fit women well. For example: T-shirts (uncomfortable for anything over an A-cup), jeans (men are apparently less curvy), chairs and seats in cars (again with the curving- we need more lower back support), and power tools (don't fit comfortably in hand or have terrible balance). And with things like tools I hate being told that the problem is that women are underdeveloped in the wrong places or simply weak. Worse yet, we get patronizing versions of things "for the ladies." Does it come with nail polish and high heels to match the case? What am I supposed to do with that mostly-plastic drill that probably puts out as much power as an electric toothbrush? I'll take the one designed for the hand of a 300-pound tank of a construction worker, thank you very much- even if it does make my wrist hurt.

Whatever it is, something that fits well is worth extra research and money. Look at it like this: how much is it worth if you don't like to use it or simply won't? I wear the pairs of jeans that I love all the time and the ones I don't almost never. Banik and I love Henckels, and one day we'll spend the extra money for them because cooking is something we enjoy. And although it will likely cost more than most of the alternatives, if I ever decided to get a bike I'll think about getting one from Terry Bicycles. Goodness knows I could stand to exercise, and I think the $650 investment for the basic version would be worth it if I'd use it a couple times a week.

1 comment:

Anefi said...

I looooooove biking, but it's always fuxed with my shoulders and back. Great to know that there's this option.